The iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 won’t likely make an appearance on September 10th event, but will probably arrive later this year, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo said Apple’s component suppliers will start shipping parts for iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 late in the third quarter, with plans to ramp up to full-scale mass production in the fourth quarter of this year.
As you can see in the image below, the obvious difference between iPad 5 and iPad 4 is the width. The leaked iPad 5 shell photos confirm a thinner and sleeker iPad 5 which will share the iPad mini design. By minimizing the bezel, Apple is shaving 1.5 cm (.6″) off of the width, but maintaining the display size unaltered.
Kuo speculated that both the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 will use the new Apple’s A7X processor and shared the following iPad 5 specs.
- 7.5-8.0mm – 15% thinner than the iPad 4
- 500 grams – 25% lighter than the iPad 4
- 9.7-inch display with GF2 touch technology from the iPad mini
- Apple A7X processor
- 5MP rear camera, HD front camera, similar to the iPad 4
- Design similar to the iPad mini
- 8,500-9,000mAh battery – 25 to 30% smaller than the iPad 4